LIFE HACK! This macaroni and cheese will change your life. Ready in 30 minutes or less, delicious AF, and low calorie! The best part is that you can really manipulate the recipe anyway you want. Add seasonings, toppings, or mix-ins, and you still end up with a low calorie side dish that will blow you away. Keep or omit the streusel topping, throw in some bacon, mix in some green chiles, you do you!
Yield: 2 cups
Serving Size: 1/2 cup
Nutrition: 174 calories per serving
Tools: This dish was tested and prepared using ramekins. Spoon one cup of mac ‘n’ cheese mixture per ramekin.
Mac ‘N’ Cheese:
112 g pasta (small noodles would be best, such as small shells or ditalini)
1/4 cup pasta water
4 slices Laughing Cow Light Aged White Cheddar wedges
3/4 oz cream cheese, 1/3 less fat
1/2 tsp ground paprika
1/2 tsp ground mustard seed
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
15 g buttery round crackers, such as Ritz
1 tsp butter, cut into small pieces
15 g Parmigiana Reggiano cheese, finely grated
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Reserve 1/4 cup of pasta water before draining.
- Once the pasta is drained, transfer to a mixing bowl.
- While pasta is still hot, add the Laughing Cow cheese and cream cheese and stir just until the cheese is incorporated. If the cheese sauce is too thin, add the reserved pasta water in small increments (a tablespoon at a time) until desired thickness is achieved.
- Add in the paprika, mustard, salt, and pepper. Stir thoroughly until fully combined.
- Spoon the mixture into ramekins.
- Preheat the oven to broil, low.
- While the oven is heating, make the streusel.
- Crush the crackers into a small shards and place in a microwave safe bowl. Add the pieces of butter on top of the crackers in the bowl.
- Microwave for 30 seconds. Remove from microwave and stir. Continue microwaving in 30 second increments, then stirring, until the butter is completely melted and coating the crackers.
- spoon the streusel topping evenly over the mac ‘n’ cheese in their ramekins.
- Sprinkle the grated parmesan cheese on top of the streusel.
- Place the ramekins directly on the top oven rack and broil for 5 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Carefully remove from the oven.
Leave a comment below!